Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Philippine government and communist rebels agree to resume talks to end a deadly protracted conflict -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Philippine government and communist rebels agree to resume talks to end a deadly protracted conflict
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:37:08
COPENHAGEN,SafeX Pro Exchange Denmark (AP) — The Philippine government and the country’s communist rebels have agreed to resume talks aimed at ending decades of armed conflict, one of Asia’s longest, Norwegian mediators announced Tuesday.
High-ranking delegations from both sides met in the Norwegian capital last week and agreed to a “common vision for peace” that sought to address key obstacles, according to Norway’s foreign ministry.
Norwegian Foreign Minister Espen Barth Eide said the deal was signed at “an important signing ceremony” on Thursday but was only made public Tuesday.
The Communist Party of the Philippines and its armed wing, the New People’s Army, have fought successive Philippine governments since 1969. The rebellion, which opposes the Philippines’ close ties with the U.S. and wants left-wing parties to be part of the government, has left about 40,000 combatants and civilians dead and has stunted economic development in the impoverished countryside. The military says a few thousand Maoist insurgents are continuing to wage the insurgency.
Past administrations had engaged in on and off peace negotiations with communist rebels. Former President Rodrigo Duterte ended peace talks in March 2019, accusing the rebels of attacks on police and military outposts. The U.S., the European Union and the Philippine government consider the NPA as a terrorist organization because of its attacks targeting civilians.
Last year, Ferdinand Marcos Jr. took office as the new president and appeared more open to peace talks. He granted amnesty last week to several insurgent groups, including NPA, for offenses including rebellion, sedition and illegal assembly, but not those suspected of kidnapping, killing, terrorism or similar serious crimes.
Marcos’ namesake father declared martial law in the Philippines in 1972, imprisoning thousands of suspected rebels and communist supporters, until he was ousted in a 1986 popular uprising.
The Philippine government and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines, the umbrella group representing the rebels, said in their joint statement that they “recognize the need to unite as a nation in order to urgently address these challenges and resolve the reasons for the armed conflict.”
They “agree to a principled and peaceful resolution of the armed conflict.”
“We envision and look forward to a country where a united people can live in peace and prosperity,” the statement said. The text was the result of several informal discussions between the sides held in the Netherlands and Norway since the beginning of 2022.
”I was happy to hear the parties’ decision to finally end the more than 50-year-long conflict in the Philippines,” said Barth Eide, who witnessed the signing. He said that ”extensive work” remained and that Norway “looks forward to continuing to assist the parties towards a final peace agreement.”
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Ashanti Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Nelly
- Nevada wildfire causes rail and power outages, but crews halt flames’ progress
- It Ends With Us' Brandon Sklenar Slams Critics Vilifying the Women Behind the Film
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Man shot by 2-year-old at Virginia home in what police call an accidental shooting
- 7-year-old found safe after boat capsizes on fishing trip; her 2 grandfathers found dead
- Lawsuit accuses Oregon police department of illegally monitoring progressive activists
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Lithium drilling project temporarily blocked on sacred tribal lands in Arizona
Ranking
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Police raid Andrew Tate’s home in Romania as new allegations emerge involving minors
- 'Major catastrophe': Watch as road collapses into giant sinkhole amid Northeast flooding
- Police raid Andrew Tate’s home in Romania as new allegations emerge involving minors
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Thriving Miami Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa calls out Brian Flores for coaching style
- Military veteran pleads guilty to illegal possession of ricin
- Elevated lead levels found in drinking water at Oakland, California, public schools
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Millions of Americans face blistering temperatures as heat dome blankets Gulf Coast states
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 20 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $527 million
Hacker tried to dodge child support by breaking into registry to fake his death, prosecutors say
Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
Warriors legend, Basketball Hall of Famer, Al Attles dies at 87
Robert Downey Jr. reveals the story behind his return to Marvel in Doctor Doom role
7 convicted of blocking access to abortion clinic in suburban Detroit